The Secret Art of Photo Editing ;)

I am about to break a major rule of photography and let you in on a little secret.  Great photography has a lot to do with the editing.  I like to think of photography as both a science and an art.  It's a science during the shoot.  You have to be technical and know your equipment better than you know yourself.  You have to know all about white balance and how aperture, shutter speed, and ISO all interrelate.  But when your sitting in front of your computer, it becomes an art.  Your mouse pointer becomes your paint brush and your screen your canvas.  This is where you take your RAW material and turn it into something extraordinary, something bigger than life.

When I started out as a photographer, I was adamant that I didn't believe in editing my photos.  I believed it destroyed the integrity of my work.  I believed that if I needed to edit my work that meant it wasn't good on its own.  Over time, as my work has changed and evolved, I've come to realize that I love the art of photography as much as the science.  When I photograph a couple I want to pull out the emotion and the beauty of the moment and not just the things the lens can see.  Below are some examples of how much of a difference photo editing can make!








Comments

Popular Posts